Our work is by and for sex workers and those who honour them.
SWAN members includes individuals with and without lived experience in sex work and representatives from organizations who work with people in the sex work community. All members are volunteers.
Recognizing the need for expertise, SWAN encourages individuals directly involved in sex work to participate as often as possible in any way that works best for you.
How we work together
There is no leader of our organization. Decisions are made collaboratively. Committees are formed to work on specific projects based on interest, skill, and capacity.
Examples of past and current committees include:
- Outreach Committee
- Mutual Aid Committee
- Website Committee
- Framework Rework Committee
- Sex Worker Welcome Training Committee
We also meet as a full group to make decisions collaboratively.
Both people with and without lived experience are active on all committees and in the full group. Our beliefs, values, and member code of conduct all specify prioritizing voices and leadership of people with lived experience.
As a full group, we meet every two weeks. Committee meetings are also every two weeks. Each week, we alternate between full group and committee meetings.
Become a member
Application for membership in SWAN is open to all interested individuals, agencies, organizations and groups who support the mission, vision, guiding principles, and goals of SWAN.
This is the process to become a member:
- Make sure you’re on board with what we’re about. Read our About, Values, and Members Code of Conduct pages, as well as all the info on this page. You can also check out our different programs and find us on social media.
- Fill in the Membership Application form (bottom of this page). We will get back to you to set up a remote meeting.
- We meet! In this meeting, we will get to know each other, tell you about SWAN’s current initiatives, and discuss your participation.
The membership process aims to make sure potential members are committed to SWAN and avoid misunderstandings about our purpose.